TEXT US AT ANY TIME
+33 6 44 60 08 08
Monument : The Place des Vosges
The Place des Vosges was a meetingplace in the XVIIth century of its elegant and wealthy population. Originally called ‘La Place Royale’ in 1612, it received its present name after the Revolution.
The Place des Vosges lies in the heart of the fashionable Marais district, not far from the Bastille opera. King Henri IV decided its construction at the beginning of the XVIIth century. This square inaugurated in 1612 to celebrate the wedding of Louis XIII and Anne of Austria, is become the prototype of all the residential squares in Europe.
Place des Vosges today
Parisians consider Place des Vosges as one of the most beautiful plazas in the city. In the center of the Place, there is a statue of Louis XIII. This replaces the original that was a reminder of the anti-aristocratic fury of the revolution. At the Place des Vosges, you will find many shops and restaurants. And for the window shoppers, don't forget to take a look at the fine antique store, and the book and record shops. Ever since it was thoroughly renovated, with restaurants in all categories offering lunch and dinner or simply drinks.
Window shoppers will find the antique stores, the book and record shops, or the boutiques nested in the arcade to be most inviting.
The Place des Vosges features a peaceful garden. It is a good starting point for a visit to the Marais district or shopping in the area. The Place des Vosges is close to the metro station St-Paul on line 1. It can also be reached on foot from the Pompidou center (15 mn, the Bastille opera (10 mn) or the Notre-Dame cathedral (20 mn), all of them very pleasant walks.